Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Ladies Literary Club

Last night I went to the Ladies Literary Club to see Josh Ritter. Ashleigh, Matt, and I sat on a plush couch about 100 feet from the stage with about 497 other people filling seats around us. Chandeliers hung overhead. Gray velvet curtains hung behind the band. It was posh.

(Last year Micah and Andrew and I saw Ritter perform solo in Chicago to a packed room of about 3,000.)

Gotta love the Grand Rapids concert scene.

Also gotta love Josh Ritter. It seems appropriate to see him at the Ladies Literary Club as he deftly weaves literary and historical references into so many of his songs. The fast-paced opening track of his latest album references Florence Nightingale, Calamity Jane, Joan of Arc, Casey Jones, Gen. George Custer and Captain Caveman among others. Here he is on Letterman with the band lineup I saw last night doing "To The Dogs or Whoever." These guys have a lot of fun together.

No comments: