Saturday, June 03, 2006
Going to church at the Bowery Ballroom
Laura and I had been up since 4 a.m. and had spent all day schlepping our bags around Manhattan (due to not being able to hook up with the friend-of-a-friend who held the keys we needed to get into the apartment we were staying at until after 9 p.m.). So were were exhausted by the time we showed up at the Bowery Ballroom at 10 p.m. last Saturday night for the Howe Gelb show. We reasoned that since we'd bought tickets in advance, we might as well go. But that we would feel free to leave as early as we wanted to go get the keys and head to bed. I say all this so that when I tell you that we stayed for the entire show, you will realize how amazing the performance was. Gelb's desert blues/folk vibe supported by a full band and juxtaposed against the gospel stylings of the Voices of Praise was stirring. For the soul and some very tired feet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment